Saturday, July 13, 2013

A PRAYER FOR THE 151
By Peter Vuono

     For 36 years I have taught Special Needs kids in one setting or another. In 1976, my first assignment was in Pelham NH High School. I then did a 34 year hitch at Brockton, Ma. High School and most recently, a year and 3 months teaching elementary aged autistic kids gym. I'm glad that I chose to work with the least of God's brethren because as Mother Teresa once said, "the proof of love is service". If I was ever effective at all in both teaching and inspiring, only my students and God can judge. None of it  would have happened however, if I were not first inspired by a pro wrestler.
    In the late 50's I was inspired by George Reeves(Superman) and Steve Reeves(Hercules) like so many other boys my age. I knew that I wanted to become strong like my heroes but I didn't know how; I was only 6 years old. Years went by and in Oct. 1966, I was sitting on my bed reading Wrestling Revue Magazine. The WWWF had a large bodybuilder whose real name was Ernest Bemis wrestle under the stage name of Mr. Kleen. Like Bruno, Bemis was big and muscular. As I read an article about Bemis, he was quoted as saying,"Every boy should have a good set of weights". That was all I needed to hear and I finally knew what the  answer to the equation of strength truly was!
     For 2 and a half years, I lifted alone in my bedroom with a vinyl covered set that my parents bought for me. I was afraid to lift in front of anyone at the local YMCA for fear of being ridiculed. Finally, when I had enough self esteem to do so, and through the influences of Muscular Development Magazine and Iron Man, I dogged the powerlifts.
    My first contest was in Jan. of 1973 in Nashua. I came in 2nd to last. I made some good gains and by the spring time I increased my total nearly by 100lbs. In 1974 I came in second in the Eastern States Powerlifting Championships put on by Joe Zarella in Nashua. I never forgot the feeling I had taking my first
trophy off Joe's hands.
     I graduated from Bridgewater State College in 1976 and had many job interviews; all of which lead to a dead end. Then in August of 76, I sat in the office of Supt. Henry LaBranche of Pelham and the Principal of Pelham High School, Mr. Paul Phinney. They were very kind and congenial but what seemed to interest and impress them the most were  my endeavors in Powerlifting. They truly thought that I'd be a good role model for the kids and to my amazement, hired me on the spot!!!
   A miasma of good things continued to occur. I did the thing I loved. I met my future wife and met so many wonderful friends in Nashua. I taught and made laugh literally hundreds of Special Kids and again, if anything positive did come of this it stemmed from a  quote of a pro wrestler. Surely, if they inspired this author than they must have inspired countless others.
   Since 1985, 151 pro wrestlers have passed away who were younger than 65. Of these 83 of them were younger than 50. Heart disease is the biggest offender but nearly 12% are due to suicides.The highest mortality rate in all of pro sports belongs to the men and women who have inspired this author. I would like it to stop and I'm sure that if the following prayer is said by all those touched by the sport that God will share his strength and protection with all titans of the squared circle.

A WRESTLER'S PRAYER- By Peter vuono

     Oh Saint Sebastian, martyr, and patron saint of all athletes,
stand by those who wear the shoes of Jacob who wrestled with an angel.
Protect them when they risk life and limb to feed their families
Comfort them in the many hours that they spend away from loved ones,
and above all, let them not abandon Jesus Christ who wrestled with his
conscience in his last moments on the cross. For we ask this in his name
amen.

4 comments:

  1. Great story, Peter (Mr. V.) inspiring to me as well. I am going to use this prayer when I teach church camp next week. There are many athletes in my class and we do Saints of the day!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sue! I really appreciate you reading it. I have a story about St. Sebastian in my archives of Brawn and Bravery and he is the patron saint of ALL athletes so he's all encompassing. thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job again Peter, thanks for writing this!

    (D. Hartnett)

    ReplyDelete