Tuesday, September 16, 2014


OF MIGHT AND MORALS

By Peter Vuono

     Most of us would agree that nowadays more than ever both Hollywood and pro sports are devoid of the type of male role models which were seen so prevalently in the 1960's. This is a shame because I firmly believe that these men help to shape and mold the character of many of the young men who watch their work. One such person who had a great impact on me sadly passed away Sept 9th from ALS. This was character actor, Denny Miller.
     Miller, who was from Indiana moved to California in the 1950's to play basketball for UCLA. His dad was a Physical Education instructor at the same school. Miller, who was tall, blond and handsome worked for the Bekins Furniture Company as a mover to help make ends meet at home. He was discovered by a casting agent and without any acting experience, portrayed the first blond Tarzan in 1959 opposite Joanna Barnes in Tarzan, the Ape Man.He would go on to do over 200 television appearances and 14 years as the Gorton's Fisherman.
    Denny portrayed many tough guys but also many roles of character and strength. I believe that 3 in particular have affected my life for the better. In an episode of Gilligan's Island, Miller, who switched from basketball to bodybuilding did such a good and unique posing routine it caught the attention of Muscular Development Magazine and made him the subject of their Muscles in the Movies column. When I saw him pose way back in the 60's, I knew I wanted arms like his.
    More importantly, some of his roles are indelible in my mind for moral reasons and I do believe had much to do in molding my young personality. Miller was exceptional in portraying different types of people who are disabled.
     In 1971 in an episode of Gunsmoke he portrayed a deaf mountain man who risked his life to save kids who had fallen into a well. The role, however, which I have thought about for much of my life was his portrayal of a paraplegic confined to a wheelchair in the 1981 Incredible Hulk episode- "The Harder They Fall". I'll NEVER forget the line Miller spoke in the episode to Bill Bixby when he stated," This wheelchair doesn't mean my life ends; it just changes".
   I don't pretend to have the same type of serious disability but when poor health befell me, I thought of Denny Miller's role and realized that I should adapt and change rather than quit and give up. This is the kind of role model we children of the 60's were fortunate enough to have and it is just as  unfortunate that today's youth haven't this luxury.
   In Miller's Gunsmoke episode entitled "Lijah", he was seriously injured in rescuing the children from the well. I remember the final line he delivered when he told them."Don't worry, I'm not going to die". His words were prophetic because although Denny is gone his influence of strength, courage and wholesomeness has remained in the personalities of all those that he has inspired. Denny Miller will always remain a beacon of might and morals.

No comments:

Post a Comment