Friday, September 1, 2017


A BOY AND HIS HERO

By Peter Vuono

     Several years ago, I wrote a story for my son entitled" Other than Scorpion, Sub-zero and Jackie Chan, Whadda Ya Wanna Be When You Grow Up?" Super heroes were very important to my son. In fact, I'm convinced that if it were not for heroes like George and Steve Reeves, Bruno Sammartino and so many like them, I would have had a different and possibly inferior job, personality and life.
     Therefore I encouraged Mike to follow heroes of every sort from Hercules to Donnie Yen. Mike was born in both the year and hour of "The Dragon" in the Chinese calendar and I knew that good things were very possible as "The Dragon", among other things can stand for heaven.
     In addition to getting a Black Belt, Mike took up bodybuilding and slowly turned into a demi-hulk of sorts. He became 6'2" and 200lbs. He covered himself with the Chinese word" long" which means Dragon and broke a world record in the right hand dumbbell bench press and the left hand dumbbell bench press for an organization called the United States. All- Round WL. Assoc. However it wasn't until recently, that I understood what he was doing; he was putting on a costume and becoming like the heroes he emulated The main and necessary ingredient however was his heart and desire to help others.
     After getting his Phys, Ed. degree, Mike went to work for 9 hours a day teaching gym to urban kids , most of whom were in great need. I remember that Jackie Chan once said that the most important thing is the children because they follow us.  Then one day, I visited my son's work site and I realized what was happening. One of the kids calls him "dad", others clamor to be picked up by him and carried to their destination. Slowly but surely he was becoming just like his heroes of old. Perhaps not on such a grand scale as a movie screen but in God's eyes, a grand scale indeed.
     There is a proverb that states""If you bring one moment of happiness into the life of a child you are a coworker with God" I'm so proud of my son for taking this path because every boy needs a hero.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment