Sunday, June 25, 2023

 "I'LL GIVE YOU A DAISY A DAY DEAR"

Title by Justin Strunk

Story by Peter Vuono- Dedicated to my

dear friend Daisy Vuono age 15.


   Many months ago, I wrote a short story called " He's Not Gonna Ask Ya, 'How Much Ya Bench?'" The gist of it was that personal achievements in life are not really going to pave the way to salvation. Rather it's servitude toward others that really counts. However, like so many others, I keep falling from grace. I often don't practice what I preach.

  In a moment of silence, I was contemplating some of the trophies I had upon the wall. I marveled that in 2008 I, at age 55, deadlifted 500lbs. As time went by, these moments of glory waned. At age 64, it descended to 425 and at 65, all the way to 401 and at 70, 300!!. Are you kidding? I've got friends that can curl this much!!! I asked my doctor as to why this was happening when my total testosterone levels check higher now at 70 than they did back then. She told me that every fiber of my body, whether I knew it or not was undergoing fibrosis or arthritis if you will. I pondered this and sulked.

And then I looked over at my pal Daisy sitting next to me. Daisy is 15, She's had 9 cancer operations. She's undergoing chemo therapy for another tumor and also has heart problems. Yet, she does nothing but spread love, companionship and loyalty. It is she and not I living her life the way God intended. Is it any wonder why Walt Whitman wrote so endearingly about animals in "Leaves of Grass"? "I think I could turn and live with animals they are so placid and self contained. I stand and look


at them long and long."

   Daisy reminds me of what I wrote months ago. She keeps me grounded and  humble in that God has chosen this little creature to help show me and others The Way. Charles Yu once said that" If I could be half the person my dog is, I'd be twice the person I am". How right he was, for me, for you and for all  eternity.


"I'll give you a daisy a day dear. I'll give you a daisy a day. I'll love you until the rivers run still and the 4 winds we know blow away"-- Judd Strunk






2 comments:

  1. Poignant as usual. Thank you for sharing yourself with your loyal readers. This is true "intimacy" or as I've heard it defined, into me you see!

    ReplyDelete